Quantcast

about the style of the section numbering

about the style of the section numbering

Haiyang Chao
Hi, everyone.

I am a freshman to lyx but I have some latex experiences. I got a question
on how to change the style of the section numbering.

In my current file, I got section number like I, II, III, IV in dvi files.
Can u guys tell me how I can change this style back to 1, 2,3,4 ?

Thanks

Best
Haiyang

Re: about the style of the section numbering

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
"Haiyang Chao" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> I am a freshman to lyx but I have some latex experiences. I got a question
> on how to change the style of the section numbering.
>
> In my current file, I got section number like I, II, III, IV in dvi files.
> Can u guys tell me how I can change this style back to 1, 2,3,4 ?

Hi,

You have to tell us more about your document. What document class did
you pick?

JMarc

Re: about the style of the section numbering

Haiyang Chao
 JMarc:

Thanks for your prompt response. Actually, Ijust need to modify another
guy's file. But he is also not so familiar with lyx. My lyx file is using
ieeetran.cls. It looks like "document setting" is the only part I can modify
to change the page style.

Best
Haiyang

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> "Haiyang Chao" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Hi, everyone.
> >
> > I am a freshman to lyx but I have some latex experiences. I got a
> question
> > on how to change the style of the section numbering.
> >
> > In my current file, I got section number like I, II, III, IV in dvi
> files.
> > Can u guys tell me how I can change this style back to 1, 2,3,4 ?
>
> Hi,
>
> You have to tell us more about your document. What document class did
> you pick?
>
> JMarc

Re: about the style of the section numbering

Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes
"Haiyang Chao" <[hidden email]> writes:

>  JMarc:
>
> Thanks for your prompt response. Actually, Ijust need to modify another
> guy's file. But he is also not so familiar with lyx. My lyx file is using
> ieeetran.cls. It looks like "document setting" is the only part I can modify
> to change the page style.

But do you really want to use ieeetran? What are your constraints?

JMarc

Re: about the style of the section numbering

Max Nabble
Haiyang Chao wrote
Thanks for your prompt response. Actually, Ijust need to modify another
guy's file. But he is also not so familiar with lyx. My lyx file is using
ieeetran.cls. It looks like "document setting" is the only part I can modify
to change the page style.
LaTeX has come a long way and today the basic usage of LaTeX starts with the choice of the document class. At least two packages are very powerful and very configurable: Memoir and KOMA-Script. Within these classes you can change practically everything you want. For other classes (the regular ones) you need a lot of extra packages to change their look and behaviour. And then there are very special classes such as AMS, IEEE and so on which are often written for very special purposes such as specific journals. Unless you are writing for such a journal providing its own document class or unless you want your writings to look exactly like in one of these journals, I for my part would not recommend using them. Use Memoir or KOMA instead and check their manuals to make changes. Quite a few typical changes can be done very easily by mouse-click in LyX’ document settings dialogue. If you need help with theses classes simply ask on the list.