Position of tilde

rettie
Hello all! I apologise if this has been asked to death, but is there any way to get a normal looking tilde? Like this --> ~? I want to use it instead of saying "approximately" but when I use the keyboard tilde (\textasciitilde) it appears at the top of the line in the pdf output instead of the middle where I want it. I've tried the tilde math symbol as well ($\sim$) but it's a bit too fancy haha. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Alex

Re: Position of tilde

sock
I had a hell of a time with this problem too.
What I finally came up with was this: Use the regular keyboard tilde but add subscript formatting to get it to appear at the middle of the character. You can also add bold to make it more visible after that.
Like so many things in LyX you have to workaround it or spend 10 hrs learning some useless programming knowledge to solve a problem.
Sorry this response is 3 years late ;_;