Personal dictionary

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Personal dictionary

Rune S. Philosof
Where is the default personal dictionary placed?
I think the settings box for the personal dictionary ought to be filled
in with the default, so that the user is able to find this.

--
Rune
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

Paul A. Rubin
Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
> Where is the default personal dictionary placed?

Which operating system?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

G. Milde-3
On 16.05.08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
>> Where is the default personal dictionary placed?

> Which operating system?

Info for all OSes is under http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/UserDir

GM
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

Paul A. Rubin
G. Milde wrote:
> On 16.05.08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>> Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
>>> Where is the default personal dictionary placed?
>
>> Which operating system?
>
> Info for all OSes is under http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/UserDir
>

I'm not sure if it's that simple on Windows.  On Windows, Aspell can be
installed either for "all users" or for the user logged in during the
installation.  I think the location of the personal dictionary depends
on which choice was made (although I'm not 100% sure of that).

/Paul

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

G. Milde-2
On 19.05.08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> G. Milde wrote:
>> On 16.05.08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>>> Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
>>>> Where is the default personal dictionary placed?

>>> Which operating system?

>> Info for all OSes is under http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/UserDir


> I'm not sure if it's that simple on Windows.  On Windows, Aspell can be  
> installed either for "all users" or for the user logged in during the  
> installation.  I think the location of the personal dictionary depends  
> on which choice was made (although I'm not 100% sure of that).


Sorry, I was mixing up personal *dictionary* and personal *directory* (aka
home dir).

G√ľnter
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

Rune S. Philosof
In reply to this post by Paul A. Rubin
Paul A. Rubin skrev:

> Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if it's that simple on Windows.  On Windows, Aspell can
>>> be installed either for "all users" or for the user logged in during
>>> the installation.  I think the location of the personal dictionary
>>> depends on which choice was made (although I'm not 100% sure of that).
>> for "all users" ought to only change which users see the program in
>> the start menu and whether registry entries are added system wide or
>> user wide.
>> Then of course you need administrator rights to install for "all
>> users" and you would normally install in a directory where only the
>> administrator has rights to write.
>> I don't think it should change where the personal dictionary would be
>> placed.
> I agree that the installer should recognize that, even when other
> files go into a common location for all users to share, personal
> dictionaries should be personal.  I just don't think the installers
> necessarily do recognize that.
>
> On the system I'm using just now (XP home), I actually have two
> personal dictionaries, as an artifact of some previous installation
> misadventures.  One is located in C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Application Data\Aspell\Personal, the other in
> C:\Aspell\Personal.  (In earlier versions of LyX, we had to install
> the full Aspell program, and it had to be in C:\Aspell because the
> absolute path was hard-coded into LyX back then.)  In both cases, the
> file name is en.pws (and there is an associated file en.prepl).  The
> file name will differ if you are using, say, a Danish dictionary.  If
> you install Aspell for one user rather than all users, change "All
> Users" in the path above to your login name.  I'm not sure if this
> stuff is in the same location on Vista, but I know Vista has Documents
> and Settings directories somewhere.
I have just checked it thoroughly, and the personal dictionary is placed
in C:\ProgramData\Aspell\Personal, which is very stupid.
So why is this stupid someone might ask. Well:
- First of all, this makes it a global dictionary for all users, not
that personal.
- Second, users are for some stupid reason allowed to create files in
\ProgramData and subdirectories, but only the creator is allowed to
change the files. Which I assume could create some security issues, and
some general anoyance.
- Third, since the first users becomes the owner, this is the only one
allowed to change the file. But because of some fucked up Vista
filesystem, programs not designed for Vista does not recoqnize that they
are not allowed to write the file, and they just write it. When a
program (not prepared for Vista) writes such a file, it is actually
written, however in a different version only seen by this program, and
only temporarily....... Which is very anoying.

The personal dictionary ought to be put in
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Aspell\Personal

--
Rune
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

Abdelrazak Younes-2
Rune Schjellerup Philosof wrote:

> I have just checked it thoroughly, and the personal dictionary is placed
> in C:\ProgramData\Aspell\Personal, which is very stupid.
> So why is this stupid someone might ask. Well:
> - First of all, this makes it a global dictionary for all users, not
> that personal.
> - Second, users are for some stupid reason allowed to create files in
> \ProgramData and subdirectories, but only the creator is allowed to
> change the files. Which I assume could create some security issues, and
> some general anoyance.
> - Third, since the first users becomes the owner, this is the only one
> allowed to change the file. But because of some fucked up Vista
> filesystem, programs not designed for Vista does not recoqnize that they
> are not allowed to write the file, and they just write it. When a
> program (not prepared for Vista) writes such a file, it is actually
> written, however in a different version only seen by this program, and
> only temporarily....... Which is very anoying.
>
> The personal dictionary ought to be put in
> C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Aspell\Personal

Right, please report this in bugzilla.lyx.org.

Abdel.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Personal dictionary

PPCC
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Rune S. Philosof
Loading...