Numbering equations in AMS multiline

Ross Boylan
Is there a way to get equations produced by the AMS multiline
environment to be numbered automatically?

I've found various messages in the archives about numbering equations
with the regular equations, but I have something that is too long for
one line.  AMS multiline seems to do what I need.  The documentation I
have on it from the AMS packages seems to say the equations will be
numbered (just once for all the lines), but that's not what I get.

I did find a message about using \tag, but this does not seem to produce
automatic numbering.  I tried putting * (as the message suggested) or #
in the tag, but this just gets that character literally.

If there are other ways to achieve the same effect, that would be good
too.  I am not looking for the alignment of the usual eqnarray; I want
the continued lines to have use of the whole line.

I'm using LyX 1.4.4 on Debian GNU/Linux "testing" aka lenny.

Thanks

Re: Numbering equations in AMS multiline

Uwe Stöhr
Ross Boylan schrieb:

> Is there a way to get equations produced by the AMS multiline
> environment to be numbered automatically?

Maybe this helps:

http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/EquationNumbering

regards Uwe

On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 14:13 +0100, Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> Ross Boylan schrieb:
>
> > Is there a way to get equations produced by the AMS multiline
> > environment to be numbered automatically?
>
> Maybe this helps:
>
> http://wiki.lyx.org/Tips/EquationNumbering
>
> regards Uwe
Thanks for the pointer.  However, I had looked there and it doesn't seem
to have anything relevant.

Ross