Multiple child documents of different document classes?

Multiple child documents of different document classes?

Chavoux
Hi all

Forgive me if I am asking stupid questions, but I am still fairly new to LyX and LaTeX. I have hacked a few .bst files without really understanding what I was doing, but google was my friend, and downloaded a few howtos for converting .cls files to .layout files for LyX.

I am writing my PhD thesis in LyX (2.2.2 on Debian stable, although I might have to switch to Word for the sake of my supervisors and tracking changes). In our department the typical PhD thesis have a general Introduction and Conclusion chapter, while all the data chapters are the actual articles that you would submit to different journals. I currently have almost all my references in a single Ecology.bib file (using kBibTeX, but can export to JabRef -> BibLatex if I have to).
I have 2 questions:
1. Is it possible to have a master document of one document class (e.g. a general university PhD thesis class)
and individual chapters (child documents) of different document classes? If yes, how?

2. Is it possible to have a separate bibliography for each chapter (using the same bibtex file, since there are many overlaps), but with a different bibliography style (.bst) file for each chapter (for the different Journals to which each chapter is going to be submitted)?
Currently, while the individual (separate) chapters compile fine to .pdf, as soon as I select the Sectioned Bibliography option (in either document), I get a whole bunch of errors: "Missing $ inserted"; "Extra }, or forgotten $"; "Misplaced alignment tab character, &" and "Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined". And of course, when I simply add one as the child of the other, I get another 2 errors:
"Illegal, another \bibstyle command---line 301 of file 3_home_boer_doks_PhD_Tesis_Chapters_01Appendix.aux" and
"Illegal, another \bibdata command---line 302 of file 3_home_boer_doks_PhD_Tesis_Chapters_01Appendix.aux" repeated twice.

The main reason why I want to include the chapters as child documents, is to automate Thesis TOC and page numbering. My other option is to switch to Word (Libre Office, AbiWord or WPS Writer) and doing everything manually, if I will need to do it manually in any case. But remembering the nightmare I had with formatting during my MSc, I really don't want to do this. For now I would much rather just export to .RTF or .DOC. I have heard that Word templates and styles have improved very much, but I am still not sure how well it works between LibreOffice/AbiWord/WPS writer on Linux and MS Word (which had formatting issues between the different versions as well, when I last used it). If you have any experience on that side, please feel free to give advice.

Cheers!