Math font error on Lyx - Windows

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Andrew Barr
Hi,

I am using lyx 1.5.2 for windows XP, MiKTeX 2.5.

When using pdflatex to produce output, everything works great until I enter
any math characters, when I get the following LaTeX error

Font \csname\endcsname=psyr at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not
found

Can anybody help me solve this problem

Thanks, Andrew
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Dave Hewitt
Administrator
Andrew Barr wrote
I am using lyx 1.5.2 for windows XP, MiKTeX 2.5.

When using pdflatex to produce output, everything works great until I enter
any math characters, when I get the following LaTeX error

Font \csname\endcsname=psyr at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file not
found
I can't reproduce this problem with a standard document class, and I wouldn't know how to help if I could. However, I suspect it will help if you let us know which document class you're working with and which fonts you've specified in the Documents -> Settings.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Andrew Barr
David,
Sorry I didn't include that information.  I was using Times Roman font.  I
changed the font settings to default, and all the math comes through fine.
So...I guess that problem is solved for the moment. Sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Dave Hewitt
Administrator
Andrew Barr wrote
I was using Times Roman font.  I changed the font settings to default, and all the math comes through fine. So...I guess that problem is solved for the moment. Sorry for the dumb question.
I don't think this is a dumb question. Something unusual is happening that should not be happening. Unfortunately, I am not the person to fix it. However...

I think Computer Modern is the default, but I can't actually recall how to check what the defaults are. I recall changing some font stuff around and "Saving as Default" in the past. I haven't gotten any errors, but it would be nice to be able to go to a file or window and see the current defaults (rather than just seeing "Default" displayed without knowing what it is). Anyone know how to get that? I rambled through all the documentation and didn't come up with anything.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Andre Zimmermann-3
Thanks for finding a solution to this problem.  
As a brand new user to LyX I couldn't get math functions to work which
was the main reason I am switching from Word, but have been stuck
on this problem for about a week and was ready to quit trying to
find a solution and go back to word.  I was also using Times New
Roman and had the same problem.
Now fixed, but would be good if it didn't happen.
Andre


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Dave Hewitt
Administrator
Andre Zimmermann wrote
Thanks for finding a solution to this problem.
As a brand new user to LyX I couldn't get math functions to work which was the main reason I am switching from Word, but have been stuck on this problem for about a week and was ready to quit trying to find a solution and go back to word.  I was also using Times New Roman and had the same problem.
Now fixed, but would be good if it didn't happen.
For the record if a developer/wiz can help here...

I'm on WinXP Pro with LyX 1.5.3 and MikTeX 2.6 and cannot reproduce this problem in a standard article class with Times Roman font (I don't have Times New Roman, but I think they're the same).
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

Paul A. Rubin
In reply to this post by Andre Zimmermann-3
Andre Zimmermann wrote:
> Thanks for finding a solution to this problem.  
> As a brand new user to LyX I couldn't get math functions to work which
> was the main reason I am switching from Word, but have been stuck
> on this problem for about a week and was ready to quit trying to
> find a solution and go back to word.  I was also using Times New
> Roman and had the same problem.
> Now fixed, but would be good if it didn't happen.

Andrew and Andre,

Judging from the error message Andrew got, I'm pretty sure this is a
LaTeX issue, not a LyX issue (meaning the developers won't be able to
fix it).

Do you have the psyr font metrics installed?  You can run 'kpsewhich
psyr.tfm' at a DOS prompt to find out.  On my box the metric file is at
C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.6/fonts/tfm/adobe/symbol/psyr.tfm.

The path indicates that psyr contains a symbol font related to Adobe
(Postscript) fonts, which makes sense in the context here.  I am among
the five people on the planet least qualified to talk about how LaTeX
does fonts, but my understanding is that the font used for math symbols
is related to the font used for text; so if you choose Times Roman (an
Adobe font), it makes sense that LaTeX would look for an Adobe symbol font.

If you don't have psyr.tfm installed, installing it could cure the
problem.  In the MiKTeX package manager, the package you want is named
"symbol".

HTH,
Paul


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

danrindia
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Paul sir you are great you solved my problem by giving the idea to install "symbol"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Math font error on Lyx - Windows

NO-L
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Andrew Barr
Excuse me, could you say how to change the font?
I have the same problem and I can't solve it.
Thanks
Loading...