Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

python programming newb
Hi all,

After attempting to read through the tutorial, I noticed it mentioned
that LyX included sample templates to edit and get a running start.
When I go to File...New from Template.... the directory is empty.

Am I doing something wrong? Or did something go wrong with my install?

Thanks in advance

James Miller

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

Stephen Buonopane

On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:33 PM, James Miller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After attempting to read through the tutorial, I noticed it
> mentioned that LyX included sample templates to edit and get a
> running start. When I go to File...New from Template.... the
> directory is empty.
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Or did something go wrong with my install?

You should have a directory at
username/Library/Application Support/LyX-1.5/templates/

The default path for File...New from Template.... is set from
Preferences->Paths

hope that helps

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

python programming newb

> On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:33 PM, James Miller wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> After attempting to read through the tutorial, I noticed it
>> mentioned that LyX included sample templates to edit and get a
>> running start. When I go to File...New from Template.... the
>> directory is empty.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong? Or did something go wrong with my
>> install?
>>

> You should have a directory at
> username/Library/Application Support/LyX-1.5/templates/
>
> The default path for File...New from Template.... is set from
> Preferences->Paths
>
> hope that helps

Thanks for the quick reply Stephen,

Unfortunately that directory is empty. I popped over to it in terminal
and also saw that the permissions were set correctly.

Any ideas? Bug in the installer? Is there a place to download just the
contents of the template dir? Everything else seems to be working just
fine.

On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:49 PM, James Miller wrote:

>> On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:33 PM, James Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> After attempting to read through the tutorial, I noticed it
>>> mentioned that LyX included sample templates to edit and get a
>>> running start. When I go to File...New from Template.... the
>>> directory is empty.
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong? Or did something go wrong with my
>>> install?
>>>

>> You should have a directory at
>> username/Library/Application Support/LyX-1.5/templates/
>>
>> The default path for File...New from Template.... is set from
>> Preferences->Paths
>>
>> hope that helps
>

> Thanks for the quick reply Stephen,
>
> Unfortunately that directory is empty. I popped over to it in
> terminal and also saw that the permissions were set correctly.
>
> Any ideas? Bug in the installer? Is there a place to download just
> the contents of the template dir? Everything else seems to be
> working just fine.

Sounds like the installer did not put things in the right place.
Maybe try running the installer set-up script again.
Does it leave a text file somewhere with the details of the install?
Bennett is the expert on the Mac installer so hopefully he will have
some ideas.
You might be able to extract and copy the templates directory from
the install package. I don't think there is anything special about them.

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

Bennett Helm-2
On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:49 PM, James Miller wrote:

>> On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:33 PM, James Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> After attempting to read through the tutorial, I noticed it
>>> mentioned that LyX included sample templates to edit and get a
>>> running start. When I go to File...New from Template.... the
>>> directory is empty.
>>>
>>> Am I doing something wrong? Or did something go wrong with my
>>> install?
>>>

>> You should have a directory at
>> username/Library/Application Support/LyX-1.5/templates/
>>
>> The default path for File...New from Template.... is set from
>> Preferences->Paths
>>
>> hope that helps
>

> Thanks for the quick reply Stephen,
>
> Unfortunately that directory is empty. I popped over to it in
> terminal and also saw that the permissions were set correctly.
>
> Any ideas? Bug in the installer? Is there a place to download just
> the contents of the template dir? Everything else seems to be
> working just fine.

It's possible it's a bug; if so, it'd be nice to figure out what's
going wrong. Can you try running the installer again and report back
what happens? (You won't mess up anything else by running the
installer again.) Does it report any errors at any point?

(The templates can be found in LyX.app/Contents/Resources/templates;
the installer should copy those templates to ~/Library/Application
Support/LyX-1.5/templates/default/.)

Bennett

On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:11 PM, Bennett Helm wrote:

>>> You should have a directory at
>>> username/Library/Application Support/LyX-1.5/templates/
>>>
>>> The default path for File...New from Template.... is set from
>>> Preferences->Paths
>>>
>>> hope that helps
>>

>> Thanks for the quick reply Stephen,
>>
>> Unfortunately that directory is empty. I popped over to it in
>> terminal and also saw that the permissions were set correctly.
>>
>> Any ideas? Bug in the installer? Is there a place to download just
>> the contents of the template dir? Everything else seems to be
>> working just fine.
>
> It's possible it's a bug; if so, it'd be nice to figure out what's
> going wrong. Can you try running the installer again and report back
> what happens? (You won't mess up anything else by running the
> installer again.) Does it report any errors at any point?
>
> (The templates can be found in LyX.app/Contents/Resources/templates;
> the installer should copy those templates to ~/Library/Application
> Support/LyX-1.5/templates/default/.)
>
> Bennett

I'm about to re-run the script. Before I run the script, I noticed
that the default dir was not there.

Ok running the script...

A ha. The issue was user error / stupidity. I merely dragged the LyX
icon to applications the first time. I did NOT run the 'installer.'
After running the installer, everything is great.

I apologize for glossing over that simple task. I appreciate the fast

Thanks again,
James Miller

James Miller

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

NoraH
I seem to have the same Problem with the missing templates.

Lately I installed LyX-2.0.3+qt4-carbon.dmg, downloadable from the Lyx webpage.
I followed all the instructions on the installations walkthrough and the programme is running, as I dragged it to the Applications folder. BUT there is no Lyx installer on my .dmg and my version of Lyx lacks the template folders in the Libary.

How do I get this installer? Is it ment to run from itself on this updated version?

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

sanug
NoraH:

I too had the "No templates included" issue.

I read through the logs of the installation, and found this command.

I logged in as myself - the user that copied the files into the /Applications directory.

 cd /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/
 python -tt configure.py --with-version-suffix=-2.0

I reran the command and all of the code installed properly in the Application directory without errors. (There were errors in the cleanup parts of the script in the initial install.)

Then I manually copied the files from the LyX.app directories to the user
   ~/Library/Application\ Support
directories.

Where
   cp -a
is copy with archive, that option keeps dates and permissions the same for the files and sub directories that the command copies, and does the copy recursively.

Let me know if this helps.

I looked for an installer script in the Resource in the Application but found none.

I could not find a proper installer in the configure.py code either.

cp -a templates/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/templates/.
cp -a layouts/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/layouts/.
cp -a kbd/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/kbd/.
cp -a images/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/images/.
cp -a examples/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/examples/.
cp -a doc/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/doc/.
cp -a bind/* ~/Library/Application\ Support/LyX-2.0/bind/.

Regards,
sanug

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

Luna
Sorry but I have exactly the same problem on two different macs running mountain lion- no templates etc. - nothing installed-nothing- just empty folders. What is the problem here and how can I solve it.apologies but I have no idea what the previous mail is doing or how to do it. Surly this is an error in the installation package which needs to be resolved asap?

Is there not a simple way of resolving this or can the creators of this wonderful package resolve it?
Many thanks
Mark

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

Luna
Let me also say I have followed the installation instructions to the letter. There is no folder on my computer(s) called  LyX.app and no folder inside the Application Support folder called LyX.

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

solarnick
If you have the installer package mounted, it will show up in the sidebar in your finder.  There, if you right-click or command-click on the installer, you can "Show Package Contents".  Navigate to Content -> Resources

Open another Finder window and navigate to /Users/[YOUR USERNAME HERE]/Library/Application Support/Lyx-2.0/

Now in the first window, move the following folders:

bind
templates
examples
fonts
images
kbd
layouts

Into the second window (the Application Support one).

You may need to activate the Finder option to 'see hidden files and folder' - Google that for a 'how to'

I had the same problem and this will fix it

Re: Mac OSX LyX Install: No templates included

ericob
At least with the LyX 2.0.5 distribution for Macintosh, the disk image provided contains the LyX application and an alias to the Applications folder. Nothing else.  It does not include an installer program.

Lacking an installer program, I wonder how the resource files (templates and such), that are stored inside the LyX application bundle are supposed to come to be at ~/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.0.  I didn't know they were inside the app, so I ended up downloading the source and digging around in that folder in order to find these things.  Ugh.  If there is no installer available to move these resources, perhaps the application should just look for them where they are, rather than in my user's Application Support folder.

"LyX.app" is the LyX application.  If you do not have the Finder Preference "Show all file extensions" set, the file name for the app will be only "LyX" - without the dot and "app."

With Mac OS X, complex applications often exist as "bundles" (which I suppose you could think of a special kind of folder).  To view the contents of such a bundle, Context-click (right-click) on the bundle and choose "Show Package Contents."  The application will open onto a view just like you see when you open a folder.

There, open the "Contents" folder, then the "Resources" folder and copy what you want in order to fill up the empty folders in ~/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.0.  You don't need to work from the distribution disk image - the application you dragged to your hard disk is the same thing as the one in the disk image.

Although if you do work from the disk image, you will avoid accidentally moving the items out of the application bundle, rather than copying them.