How do I force a document to re-read a .tex file with variable definitions?

How do I force a document to re-read a .tex file with variable definitions?

alphabravo
I have a .tex file that uses \newcommand to define several variables for use in the report and in the included child documents. Usually, if I make changes to the definitions, I can save the .tex file and then the document will recognize the updated definitions.

However, many times when I compile the master document (PDF) it is clear that the variable changes have not taken effect. I usually try saving everything, exiting, and restarting, in that order, but there doesn't seem to be a sure way to force the variables to take effect. I have also tried re-applying the preamble under Document>Settings with mixed results.

Is there a menu option or some other way to force the parent document to re-read the variable file?

TIA