Excel graphs into Lyx

timtheenchanter
Sorry if this question has been answered before but what is the best way to import excel graphs (Charts) into Lyx. If I convert them to a .jpg for example the quality of the finished document is poor.

Thanks
John

Re: Excel graphs into Lyx

Dave Hewitt
Administrator
This won't be terribly helpful, but my short answer would be that there is no way that qualifies even as good, let alone best, for most figures. I hadn't made a figure in Excel in a long time, but I just did to muck around. I couldn't figure out how to save the figure (chart) by itself as an image. I saved the worksheet as a web page to force the chart into its own image file, but it was a GIF. How did you get them into JPGs? Is this Office 2007, the new and unimproved Office? Either way, the image that came out was not good and couldn't be resized in an editor - forget the reason why, something about scalable, vectorization...

One thing I've done in a pinch is to make the image fill as much of the screen as possible and use Print Screen, then paste that image into an editor like GIMP. This will work to get "decent" resolution for simple stuff, but I wouldn't do it for publications or any final product.

timtheenchanter wrote
Sorry if this question has been answered before but what is the best way to import excel graphs (Charts) into Lyx. If I convert them to a .jpg for example the quality of the finished document is poor.

Thanks
John

Re: Excel graphs into Lyx

timtheenchanter
I have been given a solution to this.
Copy the chart as a picture: Shift+Edit
Paste into Powerpoint
Right click on chart in Powerpoint and "Save as picture"
In this case the picture is saved as a .wmf that works with lyx and the quality is very good.

Dave Hewitt wrote
[...]

Thanks
John

Re: Excel graphs into Lyx

timtheenchanter
I have got this problem sorted.

In Excel you use Shift+Edit to copy the graph as a picture
You paste the picture into Powerpoint
Right click on the picture in Power point and "Save picture" as a .wmf
The .wmf can then be pasted into lyx with high quality.

Thanks
John

timtheenchanter wrote
[...]

Thanks
John

Re: Excel graphs into Lyx

Boffinboy
I find that the best way to do this is print the graph to a pdf file, you can find out how to do this via a quick google search. You can then edit the pdf in any vector graphics program to save it as an eps which will not decline in quality as it is resized - Boffinboy

timtheenchanter wrote
Sorry if this question has been answered before but what is the best way to import excel graphs (Charts) into Lyx. If I convert them to a .jpg for example the quality of the finished document is poor.

Thanks
John
DHP

Re: Excel graphs into Lyx

DHP
This was really helpful to me! So helpful that I wrote a small (windows) guide for getting Excel graphs into LyX via .eps-conversion in INKSCAPE.

I hope this will be helpful to future readers:

  1) In Excel, select graph and "File > Print".

  2) In Print, choose "Printer: Foxit Reader PDF Printer" or similar. Press "Print" and "Save as...".

  3) Open resulting .pdf in INKSCAPE.

  4) Select graph by left-clicking it. With the graph selected, go to "File > Document Properties".

  5) Expand "Resize page to content..." and press "Resize page to drawing or selection".

  6) Select all (Ctrl+A) and press "Ungroup selected groups" (Ctrl+Shift+G).
      Repeat until the bottom status bar reports "No groups to ungroup in this selection".
      (This step will keep the text intact).

  7) Save file as .eps and import to LyX as usual.