EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

sykes
Hi,

Running: Windows XP, EndNote X1
I'm trying to export from EndNote to BibTeX format using their output style file.

The most recent BibTeX output style can be found here: http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyledetail.asp?SORT=0&PAGE=3&METH=0&DISC=none&JOUR=none&BSRT=none&FF1=none&FF2=none&FF3=none&CITE=none&DKEY=714200664457JBA

When I import it into LyX I point it to the exported .bib file but when I try to add a citation there are no records to choose from.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Ed Sykes

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

Jeremy M. Kritt
Dear Ed:

Your problem is easy to solve. Be not afraid! You need to add a label to
each reference in Endnote; afterwards, export it to a Bibtex file.

When you enter Endnote, open a reference in your Endnote library. Scroll
down and you will see a field titled "Label." The label will become the
Bibtex key in your .bib file when you export to the .bib file. The Bibtex
key is important because it is the reference's unique identifier. Without
it, the .bib entry for a particular reference is incomplete and
unrecognizable for processing.

For a reference like Nahm, A.C. (1996). Korea: Tradition & Transformation,
Seoul, Hollym International Corp. I would make the label Nahm1996 (no
spaces).

Unfortunately, you will have to make labels for the entire library you want
to export. This can be time consuming; however, you will get into the habit
of entering a label when you enter new references to Endnote in the future.

If you plan to export references from Endnote to Bibtex format often, then I
recommend that you make your the label field display in your Endnote library
window. You can adjust this in Endnote's settings. Be careful with prolific
writers that publish more than once in the same year. Expanding my example
above, I would make these types of labels like the following: Nahm1996a,
Nahm1996b, Nahm1996c, etc.

After you have made all of your labels, export the library and you will see
all of the references. Try exporting one reference in the manner I have
described and you will understand how it works. This took me several hours
to figure out on my own. I had nobody to help me and the documentation was
scarce, but I am glad to help you.

Peace be with you and good luck!

Sincerely,

Jeremy M. Kritt
Seoul National University of Technology
Seoul, South Korea

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Ed Sykes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Running: Windows XP, EndNote X1
> I'm trying to export from EndNote to BibTeX format using their output style
> file.
>
> The most recent BibTeX output style can be found here:
>
> http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyledetail.asp?SORT=0&PAGE=3&METH=0&DISC=none&JOUR=none&BSRT=none&FF1=none&FF2=none&FF3=none&CITE=none&DKEY=714200664457JBA
>
> When I import it into LyX I point it to the exported .bib file but when I
> try to add a citation there are no records to choose from.
>
> Anyone else encountered this problem?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Cheers,
> Ed Sykes

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

Stefano Franchi
On Tuesday 03 June 2008 10:50:01 pm Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:

> Dear Ed:
>
> Your problem is easy to solve. Be not afraid! You need to add a label to
> each reference in Endnote; afterwards, export it to a Bibtex file.
>
> When you enter Endnote, open a reference in your Endnote library. Scroll
> down and you will see a field titled "Label." The label will become the
> Bibtex key in your .bib file when you export to the .bib file. The Bibtex
> key is important because it is the reference's unique identifier. Without
> it, the .bib entry for a particular reference is incomplete and
> unrecognizable for processing.
>
> For a reference like Nahm, A.C. (1996). Korea: Tradition & Transformation,
> Seoul, Hollym International Corp. I would make the label Nahm1996 (no
> spaces).
>
> Unfortunately, you will have to make labels for the entire library you want
> to export. This can be time consuming; however, you will get into the habit
> of entering a label when you enter new references to Endnote in the future.

If you have many references stored in Endnote, a more economical solution is
to rely on one of the many freely available BibTeX reference managers. Many
of them will  import key-less references and then will give you the option
to generate keys automatically for the whole library. BibDesk (Macintosh
only) does it almost automatically. JabRef (written in Java) offers it as an
option.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
University of Texas A&M           Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  [hidden email]
College Station, TX 77843-4237

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

Jeremy M. Kritt
Ed,

Although some programs may automatically generate keys, it is advisable (in
my opinion) to create your own keys in order to easily remember what they
refer to. I sometimes use Jabref and I have never been able to get the
program to automatically generate keys for me. If Endnote is your primary
reference manager (perhaps, because you use MS Word more often than Lyx), it
only costs you 15 seconds to type in a key that will allow you to export to
Bibtex format with whenever you want. When you first start, it may take time
to add the missing labels in Endnote; however, after that, you just add a
label when you enter in new references.

I am running Lyx in Windows and I use Endnote as my primary reference
manager for a variety of reasons. Running Lyx in Windows means that it is
impossible to push references from JabRef to Lyx. In other words, I must
choose references through the native Bibtex support menu options. All I see
are Bibtex keys in Lyx to make my reference citation selections.

It seems that the way one chooses to organize things for export from Endnote
to Bibtex format depends on your system configuration and how your have your
materials organized. Respectfully, I do not believe there is one way to
"economically" do it.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jeremy M. Kritt
Seoul National University of Technology
Seoul, South Korea.

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Stefano Franchi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]

program to automatically generate keys for me. If Endnote is your primary
reference manager (perhaps, because you use MS Word more often than Lyx), it
only costs you 15 seconds to type in a key that will allow you to export to
Bibtex format with whenever you want. When you first start, it may take time
to add the missing labels in Endnote; however, after that, you just add a
label when you enter in new reference.

I am running Lyx in Windows and I use Endnote as my primary reference
manager for a variety of reasons. Running Lyx in Windows means that it is
impossible to push references from JabRef to Lyx. In other words, I must
choose references through the native Bibtex support menu options. All I see
are Bibtex keys in Lyx to make my reference citation selections.

It seems that the way one chooses to organize things for export from Endnote
to Bibtex format depends on your system configuration and how you have your

--
Jeremy M. Kritt
Seoul National University of Technology, The Language Center

The information contained in and transmitted with this email message is
PRIVILEGED AND/OR CONFIDENTIAL. It is intended only for the individual or
entity designated above. You are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of or reliance on the information contained in
and transmitted with this email message by or to anyone other than the
recipient designated above is unauthorized and is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the named recipient of this email message or have otherwise
received this email message in error, please delete the message immediately
and notify the sender immediately via return email to [hidden email]

Unauthorized interception or use of this email or the information contained
therein may be a violation of law.

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

G. Milde-5
On  4.06.08, Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:

> Although some programs may automatically generate keys, it is advisable (in
> my opinion) to create your own keys in order to easily remember what they
> refer to.

My opinion differs, as I see the benefit of a key/label generated according
to a memorizable rule especially for large and growing databases.

At some stage I even used BibTool to "normalize" existing labels in a large
.bib file.

GM

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

Jeremy M. Kritt
My main point was -- If you are using Endnote as your main database, then it
might be better to create your own label (=Bibtex key) in Endnote according
to a pattern that you can recognize. Hence, my prolific author example in my
original post. In the end, however, I think it really depends how you have
set things up and your patterns of usage. The problem with automatic key
generation, in my opinion, is that it might create a patter that does not
make sense for the way you conceptualize your database. Is this not what you
are saying?

In the end, you have to use what works for you. Although, it is good that we
are all sharing our opinions in order to get an idea about what others are
doing. Everyone benefits from that type of discussion.

Peace,

--
Jeremy M. Kritt
Seoul National University of Technology, The Language Center
138 Gongreung-gil, Nowon-gu, Seoul, 139-743
Republic of Korea
Int'l Phone #: +82-10-3337-9977
Korean Phone#: 010-3337-9977

The information contained in and transmitted with this email message is
PRIVILEGED AND/OR CONFIDENTIAL. It is intended only for the individual or
entity designated above. You are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of or reliance on the information contained in
and transmitted with this email message by or to anyone other than the
recipient designated above is unauthorized and is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the named recipient of this email message or have otherwise
received this email message in error, please delete the message immediately
and notify the sender immediately via return email to [hidden email]

Unauthorized interception or use of this email or the information contained
therein may be a violation of law.

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

G. Milde-5
On  4.06.08, Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:
> My main point was -- If you are using Endnote as your main database, then it
> might be better to create your own label (=Bibtex key) in Endnote according
> to a pattern that you can recognize.

Agreed.

> The problem with automatic key generation, in my opinion, is that it
> might create a patter that does not make sense for the way you
> conceptualize your database. Is this not what you are saying?

I wanted to point out that there are tools (e.g. the BibTools program)
that allow the (re)creation of bibtex keys in a user-specified
format, <author>[,<author2>,...]:yyyy, say.

While requiring extensive reading of the manual in order to find out how
to specify the format, for a large database this might be less effort
than creating all the missing labels by hand.
OTOH, for 20 or so entries it might be simpler to do this manually.

> In the end, you have to use what works for you.

That's it.

GM

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

Siegfried MEUNIER-GUTTIN-CLUZEL
JabRef is highly customizable as far as the key generation is concerned.
The examples given by Jeremy ( Nahm1996 or Nahm1996a ... ) are in fact
JabRef's default.
You can describe your pattern with markers like [auth:lower] if you want
the name of the first author all in lowercase.
There are more than twenty such markers to be used for customization.
And finally, you can edit the generated key if in a special case the
generated key is not appropriate.

Siegfried.

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

rgheck
Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:

> My main point was -- If you are using Endnote as your main database, then it
> might be better to create your own label (=Bibtex key) in Endnote according
> to a pattern that you can recognize. Hence, my prolific author example in my
> original post. In the end, however, I think it really depends how you have
> set things up and your patterns of usage. The problem with automatic key
> generation, in my opinion, is that it might create a patter that does not
> make sense for the way you conceptualize your database. Is this not what you
> are saying?

JabRef, at least, let's you customize this pattern. There's a simple GUI
for doing it.

rh

My comment were mainly a response to Ed' s problem. He wrote:

Hi,

Running: Windows XP, EndNote X1
I'm trying to export from EndNote to BibTeX format using their output style
file.

The most recent BibTeX output style can be found here:
http://www.endnote.com/support/enstyledetail.asp?SORT=0&PAGE=3&METH=0&DISC=none&JOUR=none&BSRT=none&FF1=none&FF2=none&FF3=none&CITE=none&DKEY=714200664457JBA

When I import it into LyX I point it to the exported .bib file but when I
try to add a citation there are no records to choose from.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Ed Sykes

One other problem that might be affecting Ed is the encoding of the the .bib
file and the default encoding settings in Jabref. I first had a problem with
this when I first started using Jabref. This could be the reason why nothing
is showing up in Jabref after the export.

   1. There is an option to save the exported file in .txt, .rtf, .htm, or.
   xml format. He should be selecting .txt format. (The file must be renamed
   with the .bib extension.)
   2. The default encoding in Jabref should be set to ASCII format. He can
   check the default encoding settings in Jabref by going to OPTIONS -->
   PREFERENCES --> GENERAL. Default encoding is the last option.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Jeremy M. Kritt

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 11:48:30 pm Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:
> It seems that the way one chooses to organize things for export from
> Endnote to Bibtex format depends on your system configuration and how your
> have your materials organized. Respectfully, I do not believe there is one
> way to "economically" do it.

Sure, there is no "one way," it all depends on your setup. If your main
reference manager is and remains Endnote---for whatever reasons, and there
are a few good ones---, then I agree with you. If you are migrating from
Endnote to JabRef/BibDesk/Whatever, however, and you have databases with
hundreds and hundreds of references, things are different. I was in such a
situation a couple of years ago, and I went with JabRef's automatic---and
configurable---automatic keys generations. It would hae literally taken me
days to do the job by hand.

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
University of Texas A&M           Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  [hidden email]
College Station, TX 77843-4237

Re: EndNote X1 BibTeX output and LyX

sykes
Thank you so much for your awesome advice.
It works!  now I will just have to get into the habit of putting Labels in for new entries

Thanks again!