Adding extra word to table of contents, in a particular spot

Adding extra word to table of contents, in a particular spot

Adrian Peter-2
Hi,

I need to add the word 'CHAPTER' the TOC of my thesis.  It should come after
List of Tables, List of Figures and the Abstract listing before all my
chapters.  I add the following line ERT after including the TOC, List of
Tables, and List of Figures in Lyx:

\addtocontents{toc}{\protect\addvspace{10pt}\noindent{CHAPTER\par}\protect\hfill\par}{}

After this I have my Abstract.  The TOC now looks like this:

List of Tables ...............xx
List of Figures...............xx
CHAPTER
Abstract.......................xx
1 Chapter 1 Title ..........xx

However I want the word 'CHAPTER' to come after the 'Abstract' entry.  How
can I force this to occur?  I have tried to put the ERT line after the
Abstract but this moves the word CHAPTER after my first chapter title.
Thank you.

Adrian

Re: Adding extra word to table of contents, in a particular spot

Bob Lounsbury
On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to add the word 'CHAPTER' the TOC of my thesis.  It should come after
> List of Tables, List of Figures and the Abstract listing before all my
> chapters.  I add the following line ERT after including the TOC, List of
> Tables, and List of Figures in Lyx:
>
> \addtocontents{toc}{\protect\addvspace{10pt}\noindent{CHAPTER\par}\protect\hfill\par}{}
>
> After this I have my Abstract.  The TOC now looks like this:
>
> List of Tables ...............xx
> List of Figures...............xx
> CHAPTER
> Abstract.......................xx
> 1 Chapter 1 Title ..........xx
>
> However I want the word 'CHAPTER' to come after the 'Abstract' entry.  How
> can I force this to occur?  I have tried to put the ERT line after the
> Abstract but this moves the word CHAPTER after my first chapter title.
> Thank you.
>
> Adrian

Try:

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{CHAPTER}

after the abstract.

Cheers,
/Bob

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 6:33 PM, Bob Lounsbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to add the word 'CHAPTER' the TOC of my thesis.  It should come after
>> List of Tables, List of Figures and the Abstract listing before all my
>> chapters.  I add the following line ERT after including the TOC, List of
>> Tables, and List of Figures in Lyx:
>>
>> \addtocontents{toc}{\protect\addvspace{10pt}\noindent{CHAPTER\par}\protect\hfill\par}{}
>>
>> After this I have my Abstract.  The TOC now looks like this:
>>
>> List of Tables ...............xx
>> List of Figures...............xx
>> CHAPTER
>> Abstract.......................xx
>> 1 Chapter 1 Title ..........xx
>>
>> However I want the word 'CHAPTER' to come after the 'Abstract' entry.  How
>> can I force this to occur?  I have tried to put the ERT line after the
>> Abstract but this moves the word CHAPTER after my first chapter title.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Adrian
>>

> Try:
>
> \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{CHAPTER}
>
> after the abstract.
>
> Cheers,
> /Bob

I just realized that you probably didn't want the CHAPTER item to be
numbered. One way to fix that is to use the tocloft package. In the
Preamble insert:

\usepackage{tocloft}

Then edit the \addcontentsline to read:

\addtocontents{toc}{\cftpagenumbersoff{chapter}}
\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{CHAPTER}
\addtocontents{toc}{\cftpagenumberson{chapter}}

Cheers,
/Bob

Re: Adding extra word to table of contents, in a particular spot

Adrian Peter-2
Hi Bob,

Thank you very much for your help.  Sorry to bug everyone with these
questions.  I only have a few more weeks to finish my thesis and I am
determined to use Lyx to get it done :).  Not being a Lyx/Latex expert, the
help I'm getting from this user group is invaluable.  If I can get all these
issues fixed, I am will turn over a "golden" Lyx template to the university
so lots of other students can benefit.

I have another TOC question.  For some reason, the words 'Abstract', 'List
of Tables' and 'List of Figures' are not in all-caps in the TOC.  Is there a
way to force them to be in caps?  All the other first level titles are in
caps as required.  I looked at the Lyx TOC setup and it only lets me choose
the depth being displayed not the formatting.  Thank you again.

Adrian

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Thank you very much for your help.  Sorry to bug everyone with these
> questions.  I only have a few more weeks to finish my thesis and I am
> determined to use Lyx to get it done :).  Not being a Lyx/Latex expert, the
> help I'm getting from this user group is invaluable.  If I can get all these
> issues fixed, I am will turn over a "golden" Lyx template to the university
> so lots of other students can benefit.
>
> I have another TOC question.  For some reason, the words 'Abstract', 'List
> of Tables' and 'List of Figures' are not in all-caps in the TOC.  Is there a
> way to force them to be in caps?  All the other first level titles are in
> caps as required.  I looked at the Lyx TOC setup and it only lets me choose
> the depth being displayed not the formatting.  Thank you again.
>
> Adrian

Just as an aside, this is a bottom posting mail list :-}.

I'm not sure if there is a way to 'force' these names to be in caps by
default, but there is a way to call them anything you like with
commands like:

\renewcommand\contentsname{TABLE OF CONTENTS}
\renewcommand\listfigurename{LIST OF FIGURES}
\renewcommand\listtablename{LIST OF TABLES}
\renewcommand\abstractname{ABSTRACT}

Although this puts the items in caps within the document and the toc.
Not sure if that's what you want. I'm also not sure what you're doing
to insert the lot, lof, and abstract into the toc in the first place,
which would play a role in all of this too.

Cheers,
/Bob

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Bob Lounsbury <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your help.  Sorry to bug everyone with these
>> questions.  I only have a few more weeks to finish my thesis and I am
>> determined to use Lyx to get it done :).  Not being a Lyx/Latex expert, the
>> help I'm getting from this user group is invaluable.  If I can get all these
>> issues fixed, I am will turn over a "golden" Lyx template to the university
>> so lots of other students can benefit.
>>
>> I have another TOC question.  For some reason, the words 'Abstract', 'List
>> of Tables' and 'List of Figures' are not in all-caps in the TOC.  Is there a
>> way to force them to be in caps?  All the other first level titles are in
>> caps as required.  I looked at the Lyx TOC setup and it only lets me choose
>> the depth being displayed not the formatting.  Thank you again.
>>
>> Adrian
>
> Just as an aside, this is a bottom posting mail list :-}.
>
> I'm not sure if there is a way to 'force' these names to be in caps by
> default, but there is a way to call them anything you like with
> commands like:
>
> \renewcommand\contentsname{TABLE OF CONTENTS}
> \renewcommand\listfigurename{LIST OF FIGURES}
> \renewcommand\listtablename{LIST OF TABLES}
> \renewcommand\abstractname{ABSTRACT}
>
> Although this puts the items in caps within the document and the toc.
> Not sure if that's what you want. I'm also not sure what you're doing
> to insert the lot, lof, and abstract into the toc in the first place,
> which would play a role in all of this too.
>
> Cheers,
> /Bob

Oops, forgot to mention that you put these command within the body of
the document not in the preamble.

/Bob

Re: Adding extra word to table of contents, in a particular spot

Adrian Peter-2
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Bob Lounsbury <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > Thank you very much for your help.  Sorry to bug everyone with these
> > questions.  I only have a few more weeks to finish my thesis and I am
> > determined to use Lyx to get it done :).  Not being a Lyx/Latex expert,
> the
> > help I'm getting from this user group is invaluable.  If I can get all
> these
> > issues fixed, I am will turn over a "golden" Lyx template to the
> university
> > so lots of other students can benefit.
> >
> > I have another TOC question.  For some reason, the words 'Abstract',
> 'List
> > of Tables' and 'List of Figures' are not in all-caps in the TOC.  Is
> there a
> > way to force them to be in caps?  All the other first level titles are in
> > caps as required.  I looked at the Lyx TOC setup and it only lets me
> choose
> > the depth being displayed not the formatting.  Thank you again.
> >
> > Adrian
>
> Just as an aside, this is a bottom posting mail list :-}.
>
> I'm not sure if there is a way to 'force' these names to be in caps by
> default, but there is a way to call them anything you like with
> commands like:
>
> \renewcommand\contentsname{TABLE OF CONTENTS}
> \renewcommand\listfigurename{LIST OF FIGURES}
> \renewcommand\listtablename{LIST OF TABLES}
> \renewcommand\abstractname{ABSTRACT}
>
> Although this puts the items in caps within the document and the toc.
> Not sure if that's what you want. I'm also not sure what you're doing
> to insert the lot, lof, and abstract into the toc in the first place,
> which would play a role in all of this too.
>
> Cheers,
> /Bob

I have no idea why the abstract, lot, lof are in the TOC.  Our graduate
school has all kinds of crazy formatting requirements and peculiarities :)!
Everything as to be exactly matching to their specifications; otherwise,
your thesis does not get accepted.

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Bob Lounsbury <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Adrian Peter <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Bob,
>> >
>> > Thank you very much for your help.  Sorry to bug everyone with these
>> > questions.  I only have a few more weeks to finish my thesis and I am
>> > determined to use Lyx to get it done :).  Not being a Lyx/Latex expert,
>> > the
>> > help I'm getting from this user group is invaluable.  If I can get all
>> > these
>> > issues fixed, I am will turn over a "golden" Lyx template to the
>> > university
>> > so lots of other students can benefit.
>> >
>> > I have another TOC question.  For some reason, the words 'Abstract',
>> > 'List
>> > of Tables' and 'List of Figures' are not in all-caps in the TOC.  Is
>> > there a
>> > way to force them to be in caps?  All the other first level titles are
>> > in
>> > caps as required.  I looked at the Lyx TOC setup and it only lets me
>> > choose
>> > the depth being displayed not the formatting.  Thank you again.
>> >
>> > Adrian
>>
>> Just as an aside, this is a bottom posting mail list :-}.
>>
>> I'm not sure if there is a way to 'force' these names to be in caps by
>> default, but there is a way to call them anything you like with
>> commands like:
>>
>> \renewcommand\contentsname{TABLE OF CONTENTS}
>> \renewcommand\listfigurename{LIST OF FIGURES}
>> \renewcommand\listtablename{LIST OF TABLES}
>> \renewcommand\abstractname{ABSTRACT}
>>
>> Although this puts the items in caps within the document and the toc.
>> Not sure if that's what you want. I'm also not sure what you're doing
>> to insert the lot, lof, and abstract into the toc in the first place,
>> which would play a role in all of this too.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> /Bob
>
> I have no idea why the abstract, lot, lof are in the TOC.  Our graduate
> school has all kinds of crazy formatting requirements and peculiarities :)!
> Everything as to be exactly matching to their specifications; otherwise,
> your thesis does not get accepted.

Yeah, I know all about trying to match universities theses formatting
requirements. I just finished my thesis last August :-}. It always
amazes me that all of these universities have these strict formatting
requirements and hundreds of students have created templates in one
way or another to follow the requirements, but most universities don't
provide students with templates. It just doesn't make any sense, if
they require it, they should provide templates. Instead thousands of
students fight and fight to format their theses. ???

Even though I experienced a fairly steep learning curve with LyX it
was still much much nicer to work with than M$ Word, which is what my

/Bob

Table of Contents and naming the sections

Nergis

I would like to ask two questions. I am using the article format for my thesis

First, I would like to add the abstract, acknowledgements to the table of content which I can not do right now.

Secondly I have sections like introduction, method but I would like to have it in this format:

Chapter 1
Introduction

instead of

1 Introduction

Could you help me please?

removing the margins whe adding a graphic

Nergis
Hello again,

I have also another problem.

I add a PDF file as graphic but due to the paragraph margins, it appears at the right of the document. I used \noindent but did not work. Any suggestions?

Re: removing the margins whe adding a graphic

Nergis
Sent by BlackBerry Internet Service from Turkcell

From: "Nergis [via LyX]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
To: Nergis<[hidden email]>
Subject: removing the margins whe adding a graphic

Hello again,

I have also another problem.

I add a PDF file as graphic but due to the paragraph margins, it appears at the right of the document. I used \noindent but did not work. Any suggestions?

http://lyx.475766.n2.nabble.com/Adding-extra-word-to-table-of-contents-in-a-particular-spot-tp481475p7580147.html
To unsubscribe from Adding extra word to table of contents, in a particular spot, click here.
NAML